On May 27, 1934, Auto Union racing cars went to the starting line for the first time on the Avus circuit in Berlin, driven by Prince Hermann zu Leiningen, Hans Stuck and August Momberger who came in third after the other two had retired. The cars they drove were Porsche’s original design (later referred to as Type A), with a 4.3 liter V16 engine developing 295 bhp.
Tazio Nuvolari Nuvolari’s car taking on fuel from a new high-speed refuelling system during the German Grand Prix on the Nürburgring.
Ferdinand Porsche Ferdinand Porsche, designer of the 16-cylinder car to suit the new 750 kg weight formula, seen in the pits at the racing circuit.
Auto Union TeamThe complete Auto Union racing team following Hans Stuck’s victory in the 1934 German Grand Prix; at the far left are Walb, the first racing-team manager, and v. Eberan-Eberhorst.
Robert v. Eberan-EberhorstRobert v. Eberan-Eberhorst was Auto Union’s racing engineer and the designer of the 3-liter car. Later, at the end of the 1970s, he played a major part in restoring the Type C.